New platform provides Canadians with internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to address multiple mental health conditions
TORONTO, May 31, 2018 /CNW/ - Morneau Shepell announced today the launch of a new internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy (iCBT) platform – the largest national iCBT platform in Canada. This platform provides clients with affordable therapist-assisted CBT on their mobile and desktop devices – whenever and wherever they choose.
Morneau Shepell iCBT delivers best practice, research-based CBT using an interactive digital program that includes videos, activities and assignments. Built with the input from leading experts in CBT, the platform draws upon Morneau Shepell's 40 years of experience delivering behavioural health solutions.
"Canadians are facing a mental health crisis," said Zahid Salman, executive vice president and general manager, absence management solutions, and chief innovation officer. "As we reported in the Globe and Mail, the numbers are staggering – 41 per cent of Canadians are at high risk for mental-health issues. Thirty-six per cent feel so stressed it affects their daily lives. Fifty-eight per cent of employees say poor mental health negatively impacts their productivity."
A major barrier to improving mental health is poor access to care, particularly treatment such as cognitive behavioural therapy. "Our iCBT platform breaks down this barrier and ensures individuals have access to a qualified therapist and proven treatment pathways," concluded Salman.
Morneau Shepell's iCBT platform is offered through a growing list of employers and insurance carriers, including Great West Life. It will also soon be available through partnerships with health and community care organizations. The platform can either be used as a stand-alone product or integrated seamlessly into existing Morneau Shepell employee and family assistance programs or disability management programs.
Morneau Shepell's iCBT platform supports multiple conditions across the prevention, early intervention, absence management and return-to-work continuum. The program is designed to make the individual's experience seamless, solution-oriented and fulfilling. The user experience breaks down as follows:
- Clinical assessment: Every individual completes an online, clinically validated assessment. The iCBT platform also integrates with InfluenceCare, our comprehensive mental health assessment tool, to provide the option of video consultation and diagnostic assessment with a psychiatrist and medication support through a pharmacogenetic assessment.
- Treatment plan: Based on the individual's assessment, a Morneau Shepell CBT therapist develops an actionable treatment plan. The program includes stepped-care programs for multiple issues, including depression and anxiety.
- Therapist-assisted CBT: The individual is matched with a Morneau Shepell CBT therapist. The therapist guides the individual's experience and ensures their treatment pathway meets ongoing needs and personal preferences.
- Regular check-ins: The therapist regularly checks in with the individual to provide guidance and motivational support, as well as to track and measure progress.
- 24/7 crisis support: If at-risk or in crisis, the individual receives a call. Alternatively, the individual can call the Morneau Shepell Care Access Centre at anytime – unique among iCBT providers. If at any point iCBT does not meet the immediate needs of the individual, Morneau Shepell will triage the individual to the most appropriate clinical intervention.
"Digital CBT has been proven as effective as in-person CBT for a full range of mental health challenges," said Rita Fridella, executive vice president and general manager, employee support solutions. "The convenience of digital therapy means a better user experience and an increased likelihood that the user continues their therapy plan, which means better outcomes and a return to health and productivity."
With a cross-country network of more than 3,000 clinicians, Morneau Shepell is the largest national iCBT provider in Canada. Morneau Shepell's national expertise, decades of clinical experience and internationally awarded digital infrastructure sets its iCBT platform apart from other programs – ensuring struggling individuals have access to the right support, when and where they need it.
Employers, health care and public sector organizations, and insurance carriers interested in learning more about Morneau Shepell's iCBT platform can do so by contacting: iCBT@morneaushepell.com.
About Morneau Shepell
Morneau Shepell is the only human resources consulting and technology company that takes an integrated approach to employee assistance, health, benefits and retirement needs. The Company is the leading provider of employee and family assistance programs, the largest administrator of retirement and benefits plans and the largest provider of integrated absence management solutions in Canada. As a leader in strategic HR consulting and innovative pension design, the Company helps clients solve complex workforce problems and provides integrated productivity, health and retirement solutions. Established in 1966, Morneau Shepell serves approximately 20,000 clients, ranging from small businesses to some of the largest corporations and associations. With more than 4,000 employees in offices across North America, Morneau Shepell provides services to organizations across Canada, in the United States and around the globe. Morneau Shepell is a publicly-traded company on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: MSI). For more information, visit morneaushepell.com.
SOURCE Morneau Shepell Inc.